6/25 motherfk

Luminatus

Hey guys,

I'm still troubleshooting the computer.  I've swapped cpu's and now there's an issue with the heatsink matching up to the motherboard to be screwed on.  It's an amd atx mobo with am3+ socekt and a phenom ii 1090t 6 core processor.  The 6 core did work with my old liquid cooler setup previously, but now I'm turning on the pc and seeing it try to turn on and then turn right back off.  I think it must be an error with the cpu, or perhaps the motherboard since it will not complete a POST.

Sorry for all this inconvenience, but I don't want to hold everyone back with disconnects and fps issues.  I'll pop on if you need me but right now count me out for tonight and possibly next week.

If I can't figure out what's going on with it I'll be looking into an intel mobo/cpu bundle and have that swapped in by July.  I'm in a break for work right now and I'll be going back in two weeks, but bills and living trump computer parts and repair for the next two to four weeks.

Best of luck,

Lumi

ooop hold that thought I just found my adapters.  let me try swapping out the liquid cooler for the heatsink.

still a no go

amd athlon x3 triple core black edition sitting at 3.2ghz

asus m5a97 evo motherboard

phenom 6 core 1090t heatsink

It will not complete a POST test, I see the CPU led light up then everything turns off.  If it's a CPU issue usually the LED light will stay lit.

just going off memory, but isnt that an am2 chip, and an am3 board, aka...   a board with ddr3 and a chip only designed for dd2?

basically what I'm saying is tho the socket may be compatable, the onboard memory controller is not

and while you arent getting a cpu error, it should post the cpu then memory, so its not passing the memory test on post, and hence your shut off.

if you need troubleshooting help/ advice, hit me up

what was the old cooler you had on the 1090t?  and why didnt it work?

you said you used a 1090t, which is a am3 chip, in that am3+ board, then said u are now using a tricore phenom, which is only in the athlon/phenom2 series, on an am3 board

amd athlon x3 triple core black edition sitting at 3.2ghz

asus m5a97 evo motherboard

phenom 6 core 1090t heatsink

the am2/3 socket should be the exact same spacing, so the mount should work on either

Edited by Vorty

no I was thinking of swapping the 3 core for the 1090t but that's not going to work.  I had the 3 core in when the pc turned off last week.  I'm fairly sure it's a tri core athlon.

So now I'm back to the 3 core and I'm using the heatsink that came with the 1090t to be sure that the liquid cooling system wasn't faulty.  But I am still getting the same result, a quick shot of power and then back to nothing.

i guess the main question is which version is the tricore? model number wise. wondering what the tdp difference is on the 2 chips you have and the rating on that stock HS/F

if unclear what it is, and u have the top of the cpu exposed, there is a serial number usually numbers and letters, see if u can take a pic or copy down that number so i can have a more direct and accurate review

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDProcessorSerialNumber.aspx

if confused

Edited by Vorty

give me a few minutes

so the heatsink is more than enough tdp clearance for the 440, and should be compatable. the board has support for both chips under the shipped stock bios version. only thing i can think of preventing a post is the CMOS not being reset after the swap. your board doesnt have a header from what i can tell in the manual, but just removing that button cell battery for 10-15sec should do the trick. also make sure it still has a charge, just put your lips on it and see if u feel a tingle

also it wouldnt hurt trying to post with just 1 stick of ram. if you are trying to duel channel with only 2 sticks make sure you are in the right slots.

your board is (from left to right, with the cpu to the left)  a1_a2_b1_b2

so if only 2 sticks of ram put them in a1/b1

actual documentation wants them in a2/b2

the 440 is more anal about the duel/single channel

Edited by Vorty

Had the battery out and put it back in.  Same result.  Did not feel a tingle though.

Oh now this is interesting.  No gpu and no battery in but the fans are running and the cpu led is on.

it could be a dead battery, and not saving changes for the new cpu added. have any old boards?  usually just transplanting one works fine, its just a battery.

how many sticks of ram are you using.  i guess it would help me more to know what we are working with.

other issues for a fail post after the cpu check is possible you forgot to plug the 6-pin power back in to the upper left of the cpu? its usually only really needed for the 125/140w procs like your 6core, but if u missed it....  could cause issues

I love you vorty.  I did forget to rewire the top part of the board.

So now it's going past cpu but i'm getting boot device error.  I still have the battery out.  Is that causing it?

Battery in, same deal.  But when I put my video card back in it won't turn on at all - same result as original

yeah, actually.  if you dont have a spare, radioshack or virtually anywhere has them.  CR2032 is the most common.

and what is the actual error?  not booting your OS, or on post its saying a boot device error?

I love you vorty.  I did forget to rewire the top part of the board.

So now it's going past cpu but i'm getting boot device error.  I still have the battery out.  Is that causing it?

Battery in, same deal.  But when I put my video card back in it won't turn on at all - same result as original

forget to plug them in too?

lolololol.

seriously prob the battery.  you cant get passed post and into your UEFI?

I've got it up and running now.  My guess is the power supply.  Every time I went to plug in my Sapphire 7790 it wouldn't turn on, but I put in my old 5670 and it went to windows np.  The boot device error was just because it had powered off abruptly methinks.