Rebel's Logic Post 7

Rebelogic

"Heartbreaking, yet inspirational". As I was driving into work today, my mind kept wandering to the aforementioned phrase.

The raid week we just endured made us look at ourselves in a new light and cause a resurgence in an attitude lost in our ranks for a while. We had saved the ID from Group 1's disappointing 7-boss previous raid week. Out of those ashes, arose a new level of commitment from players. People showed up on time this week, ready to work hard. On the back of a guild get together that made us all closer, people showed that in their game-play. The veils of laziness and lack of effort previously hidden by sub-par standards were shed to reveal players who needed to step up their game to compete with the drive of players who were chosen to be in the main group. If you were asked to come in, first and foremost it was for the benefit of the raid. It was because we felt that you deserved a chance to use the skills we have seen in the past to benefit us as a whole. If you were asked to sit, it was discussed amicably on the most part and often didn't reflect upon your skills but something circumstantial such as group comp or lag. With all this in mind, I was proud of every one of you guys this week. Not only did we have a solid 3 days of continued raiding, we progressed on LK each day. Our record on LK on Wednesday was 31%, we beat that 3 times on Thursday with a best record of 19%. The entire week, I felt that we were getting closer and closer to ironing out all the little things that will not only make us get closer to downing LK, but get us all into the mind-set as to how our individual efforts can best compliment the raid as a whole.

After the raid, I went to the trainer and decided that I wanted to spec into aura mastery so I can help the raid survive on transition phases which need sudden boosts in resistance. Often, survivability of a raid is more important than an individual bonus. It is this mentality that will ultimately make us succeed. What we are doing now is taking a fine tooth comb to our raid comp and looking at the things that individuals can do at certain times, to best benefit the entire raid as a whole. So, to aid us, we ask that you take a few moments to go over your individual spec/glyphs/macros/gear/enchants/gems/etc. to see any improvements you can make. Take this entire weekend to pick a few moments. Gone should be the days where any person feels that they are above all suggestions. On a huge white-board at work, our CEO wrote down some business rules. The first rule is called the "1% Rule". That rule states that no matter how sure of an idea you have, always leave yourself a 1% chance that there could be a better idea out there. Humbling yourself in this fashion will not only make yourself better but will cause you to think about how you can work with others more. Discussion about what each class can do to benefit the raid should happen more often. When you are in Dalaran talking about something random; every once in a while, bounce a legitimate idea off someone.

What I saw this week were a lot of people doing the things that I mentioned above to a degree unseen in our ranks for quite a while. People, including myself, had the habit of coasting on what skills we already had and the hubris that we were already doing the best we could. We became complacent and that resulted in lack-luster raid attendance and performance. However, seeing everyone work harder to show up to raids and play their class to a new found higher standard, has made me want to optimize my efforts even more. Therefore, I come back to my original statement, "Heartbreaking yet inspirational". I say heartbreaking because with all the effort we put into the LK this week, we got so close so many times. However, the broken hearts simply meant that we were that determined to get better and better. The closer we get to a boss downing, the worse my heart breaks. However, the closer we get, the more I am inspired to work harder for you guys because I see that you are doing the same for me. So, I say, it is an honor to wipe and break my heart with you guys, for it means that we not only are proving that our resolve is steadfast but the glory of success will be that much sweeter!

If the GM gets sat again, I will log and not return.

He may not always be right, but he has more gaming experience than anyone else in the guild. Hell, he's been playing since before most of you were born on one platform or another. Giving him the option of deciding to sit someone doesn't count. The GM shouldn't always have to be bad cop. When it comes to raid, the raid leader should be making those decisions. He shouldn't be asked if he wants someone kicked; they should've been dropped back to stand by and the GM should've been kept. It was a slap in the face to do that to him, especially after he was willing to come on an alt instead of main in the first place. And all the smart ass comments were insulting as well. I only saw one officer stand up for keeping him in the raid. Thank you Cyianna.

IMO, any officer who can make the raid should have priority on thier main toon/ main spec. Make everyone else adjust for the raid comp you need. If someone can't be on until 9:30.... then I guess they don't go.

something happened in Ochat that i wish i'd been able to read. i was totally willing to sit for wili, and i told Cyianna that several times. he's better than i am, more dps, and he's at least as on the ball as anyone else, as well as being the GM. to be honest, i don't know of anyone in g1 that wouldn't have done the same thing. yeah, i want that kingslayer title. i want to see the big bastard dead as much as the rest of you, maybe more, but dammit we're not just 25 people that came together for giggles. we're a Guild, and we need to be a brotherhood or we may as well just pug it.

Jess every officer was telling him to stay in the raid. All of us offered to sit instead of him, we also gave suggestions on who was slacking and could be sat. We didn't ask him to sit, we would never do that. I'm still confused as to why he felt he needed to, and he just ignored us when we asked him to stay. So I don't know what we could have done differently. We just didn't say anything in raid chat because we didn't want the entire raid to derail from people doing what Cyianna did and inflating the issue in raid chat.

When Polished got on late it was suggested that he be used to replace someone if they weren't performing. So I don't understand how gump got the idea he needed to sit. Unless i'm missing something.

As for smart ass comments, I only made some because I was pissed he did sit himself after we told him not to and none of us could figure out what his deal was.

I didn't see any smart ass comments or anything of what you said since I couldn't see O-Chat but I know we had atleast 4 people say they would sit for him to come back in including myself. I do say if someone does sits for someone else and if anyone in the raid screws up we really need to sit them and bring in the person that sat or someone that wont screw up. It will really help us as a whole keeping everyone on their toes to keep their spot.

At no point in the entire situation did I want Wili to be bad cop. I simply asked his opinion as to which class between two options would be best to sit for him. Ultimately, if he would have decided to come in for one of them. I would be the one who would have said that person is being sat. From now on, I will be more forceful in enforcing the collective view of all the officers. It was only my respect for him and his decision to refuse to replace anyone that made me drop the idea. Half the problem was him being too selfless a player. After the raid, I talked it out with him and we came to an understanding that 7 healers is too many for the raid. We need him on his mage for he is one the best ranged DPS we have. If you want to direct the blame for this situation, you can direct it at me because I could have been more forceful in bringing him back in the raid. Sometimes, we officers as a collective have to save another from being too caring about others. In the future though, we now have a plan to balance out group comp and fail-safes to prevent this situation from happening in the future.

The good part of this occurrence is that we have a clearer understanding of the areas in the raid comp that we are lacking in. Once we fix those few problem areas, we will definitely succeed.

I do have to say Jess, every officer in officer chat harped on sitting someone else for a good 20 minutes before we even made a pull and continued to harp on it for the next three. Like Unholy said, we made suggestions of who to sit and arguments of who to sit, and every officer in o-chat offered to sit for him. There was a severe morale boost lost when he left. But we were told that he had made the decision and we we're supposed to let it go. I for one offered to sit because overcast can tank just as well, and I know every other officer was willing to go on standby, but we we're told thats what he wanted :(

*Edit* We made our posts at the same time Rebel, and you already summed up what happened, so I guess mine was unnecessary. I would hope that after inviting us all to your home that you wouldn't think that any of us would want wili to sit, that's the last thing we want to see happen.

Jess every officer was telling him to stay in the raid. All of us offered to sit instead of him, we also gave suggestions on who was slacking and could be sat. We didn't ask him to sit, we would never do that. I'm still confused as to why he felt he needed to, and he just ignored us when we asked him to stay. So I don't know what we could have done differently. We just didn't say anything in raid chat because we didn't want the entire raid to derail from people doing what Cyianna did and inflating the issue in raid chat.

When Polished got on late it was suggested that he be used to replace someone if they weren't performing. So I don't understand how gump got the idea he needed to sit. Unless i'm missing something.

As for smart ass comments, I only made some because I was pissed he did sit himself after we told him not to and none of us could figure out what his deal was.

Very well said Unholy. I tell Gump, just like I did in real life as well, that he needs a mean voice once in a while. Him sitting out also isn't just a matter of him being better than some others for whatever reasons mechanically, it's also a matter of moral. Here's a short story about a guild named Dude it's a Game, which is now completely dead, gone and ridiculed.

The GM never showed up for progression. No matter how good or bad a player he was, it upset people. I was part of their officer group and I heard it ALL the time about how it upset people. The GM *needs* to be present to complete the team. It slowly brought the entire guild down.

Of course it'll never happen to ATR in such a way, but it's an illustration on how important he CAN, and IS to the group. Also, I make flip comments like that all the time. I'm sorry that it was taken the wrong way, but I was accustomed to people knowing I'm a smart ass about things I'm passionate about. It's a way of bringing up the subject that I was still irritated that he wasn't there.

You do see how "who should we sit so you can stay?" and "I'm sitting so-and-so" have completly different conotations. It's kind of like inviting yourself to someone's house... unless they're rude or can come up with a good excuse quick, they're going to say yes. So you wait for an invite. If you imply that he should sit, he's not going to say no.

I don't see officer chat, either, and so I'm guessing that having him come on an alt when he thought 7 heals were overkill and was ignored, probably started it off. None of the officers should've been sitting. Until we've downed this, they should all be on if they can. How else can they give directions or help with other groups if they don't do the fight first hand? There's no way Gump is going to let one of the other officers sit.He's stubborn and I tired many times to have him take my spot since we had two moonkins. That's why next time I'll log and force the issue, but I'd rather not have him pissed at me.

I think I fully understand now. Between my talk with Gump yesterday and your insights, I will make sure that this does not happen again. Thanks for helping us understand his personality. This will make us work together better in the future.

Quoted for being the shortest Rebel post EVER.

Don't be too nice to him; I yelled at him for being pissy and stubborn last night. I just personally think the officers should stay in there until LK is dead.

Sorry my post turned this thread to crap; on some positive things:

We so have phase one down. Even with random dc's of the person with plague, the heals and dispell and people moving let us hop scotch it across and not cause a wipe. And raging spirits were dying before the next one spawned. Fantastic.

That whole Valk/ defile thing is getting better and better. I wouldn't say we're perfect yet, but we're getting there. I personally am still trying to get the timing down on Valks and Defile running... it seems if I get defile I have no time to get out of the group and need to run early, but on a couple of transitions I need to wait to see if I get picked up first. That seems to be the only Defile that ends up in a bad spot so I must not be the only one working on that timing.

We were much better at getting in position for the ice rebuild (not sure what phase we say that is). If we can figure out the damn ghost- things in that last phase we'll be golden. I am going to see if I can figure out how to help dps them down faster. We so have this on Tuesday.

Those 2 defile/Vlk phases that come right on top of each other are ment to do so. It's to throw your group and your timing off. It throws you a curve ball to make sure that you have responsible people in the raid. The ghost phase is another curveball - It's eas yas hell if people in your raid know what their doing but it puts alot of pressure on everyone to do things flawless one wrong move and you can kill 5 people. Thats why the fights hard compared to others we are going to have other fights that are like that soon when we start HM's it's not a tank and spank its do the mechanics and beat the encounter.

Edited by Pemmican